Friday, May 29, 2009

Best Laid Plans...

When I began to build this dollhouse, I fully intended to have a full-scale door beneath the stairs. In fact, I even had cut a doorway into the back wall of the plywood. As I got to working on the stairs, though, I soon realized that it wouldn't work. I had to give up and install the miniature door for a storage area beneath these stairs.

The stairs are solid cherry wood. The landing is approximately 3" deep; so I was able to cut one piece of wood for that step. The lower steps, however, progressively project out about 5/6" with each step. The easiest way to bump out the cherry wood steps was to stack up pine wood pieces behind the cherry. So, as you look at the stairs on the right, there's no fancy construction work holding up that flight of stairs. It's solid wood from the front step all the way to the back wall and up to the landing.

For those of you with a discerning eye, you'll know why the maid for this house has her bag packed and a letter of resignation on her dresser. Dusty stairs was bad enough, but then to have a broken dinner plate in the dining room? Unforgiveable! ;o)

6 comments:

Texas Belle said...

Beautiful! I especially love the little brackets under each step. Did you make those, too?

Unknown said...

George, what a stunning staircase! I love the little door under the stairs and that main ballister is unbelieveably gorgeous! Well done!

Mags Cassidy said...

Fabulous stairs!
Mags

linsminis said...

Great work George...I love the dusty stairs...home from home!!! I have tagged you, if you pop over to my blog you'll understand! Thank for asking about my leg...man, that escalator was mean..it's still not healed!

kibbygirl said...

looks like a very cool dollhouse. awsome detail on the banister. I like your site, glad I found it.

George the Miniguy said...

Per Texas Belle's query, the brackets beneath each of the stairs were something I picked up at a miniatures store. They are extremely delicate - about 1/32" thick and were laser cut, which makes them consistent in appearance.

Thanks, everyone, for your kind comments about the entry hall!

George

Related Posts with Thumbnails